Ever since I saw the Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman movie, The Bucket List, I’ve been literally obsessed with creating and following my bucket list.
I’ve used various websites to house it, I’ve written it out in several journals, and I, of course, have a Pinterest board dedicated to it. Though, that’s where the list always stayed. I’m a firm believer in the whole out of sight, out of mind thought process…especially when it comes to goals or challenges.
Even though a bucket list is FUN, it is a lot of work. It can be easy to say “yeah, I have one,” but not do much with it. You gotta write that shiz down if it’s ever gonna be real.
So, this all changed a few months ago when I decided I needed to start acting on my bucket list or I would never accomplish anything. I started about four months before my 31st birthday. I chose 31 things from my massive bucket list and got to work trying to accomplish them.
The 31-before-31 was born.
Side note: Does anyone else add unnecessary things to their list, just to cross them off? Say I’m not the only one!
I didn’t check off everything on the list, in fact, I only did 16 of the 31 entries. But, I’m okay with that! In all actuality it is probably 15 more than I would have accomplished had I not set out a plan.
This year, I am giving myself more than four months to complete the mission. I will have the entire year to mark up my 32 before 32 bucket list.
So, what made the cut?
32 before 32 – A birthday bucket list
- Go skydiving
- Read at least one book a month
Start a memory jar on New Year’s Eve– DONE!
- Learn to make cheese
- Perfect my grandma’s signature dish
- Write a letter to my future self
- Try ice skating again
- Take an airboat across a swamp
- Go snowshoeing
- Make a time capsule to open on my 40th birthday
- Finally, finish my family cookbook
- Fly in a hot air balloon
- Drink beer at Oktoberfest – we’re makin’ it rain this year
- Stay at a bed and breakfast
- Have no student loan debt
- Stomp grapes at the wine festival
- Attend a murder mystery dinner
- Learn how to blow glass
- Climb a lighthouse
- Donate toys for the holidays
- Go to a drive-in movie
- Learn to say hello and thank you in 10 languages
- Spanish – Hola / Gracias
- Russian – Zdravstvuy / Spasibo
- German- Hallo / Danke
- Croatian – Bok / Hvala vam
- Drive a snow mobile
- Watch a meteor shower
- Host a Friendsgiving
- Take more weekend road trips – travel doesn’t always have to be abroad
- See more UNESCO world heritage sites
- Visit a new state – Illinois, South Dakota etc
- Become a better photographer
- Try a new sport
- Sleep in a cabin during the winter
- Cook every dish in one cookbook
I think this years list is a nice mix of things – not too easy, but not too hard. I don’t want to set myself up to fail miserably, haha.
I turned 31 today, so I have 365 days to go.
Always remember, the time is now. You’re never gonna be this young again!
What’s on your bucket list?
How do you set out plans to accomplish your goals?
Comment below and let me know!