Austria is a country that really needs no introduction. It is chock full of stunning mountain ranges, parks, and pristine clear lakes. The landscapes and scenery of this country are nothing short of amazing.
You’ll also find many beautiful churches, chapels, monasteries, palaces, and museums to keep yourself busy for days. If you enjoy outdoor activities you must spend some time hiking, camping, or skiing.
I traveled to Austria a few years ago as part of a group tour. It was my first time in the country and after passing through the Nordkette mountain range near Innsbruck, I knew it wasn’t going to be my last.
My Austrian Photo Diary
Court Church is a neat place – It was built in the 1500s by Emperor Ferdinand I as a memorial to his grandfather, Emperor Maximilian. What you see in the center of the photo above is Maximilian’s cenotaph, surrounded by 28 bronze statues of his relatives.
Don’t know what a cenotaph is? It’s an empty tomb erected in someone’s honor while their actual remains are buried elsewhere.
Think my grandchildren will build a church and cenotaph for me? haha
The Wilten Basilica is something else too. Crisp white and buttery yellow on the outside and gorgeous, intricate detail on the inside.
Austria Quick Tips
- Don’t forget your passport – obvi and visa (for some countries)
- Uses the Euro
- Official language is German – be a good traveler and learn a few words – hi, how are you, thank you, please etc
- Best time to visit- April to October, the busiest will be June-August of course
- Sunday is a rest day so most shops are closed, however, museums are open with free admission #holla
Austria Bucket List
- Eisriesenwelt ice caves near Salzburg
- View Austria from the top with the Grossglockner Road- elevation – 8200 feet!
- Beautiful Melk Abbey standing over the town of Melk
- MuseumsQuartier- a square in Vienna full of museums, cafes, and restaurants
- Salzwelten salt mine
- Any and everything in Innsbruck
Have I convinced you to visit Austria?
Has anyone been to Austria or done any of my bucket list activities?
Comment below and let me know!
Check out more travel destinations, inspirations, and tips here!